Maryland is ranked as one of the worst states in which to do business. Actions taken by O'Malley/Brown Administration have led to businesses, big and small, leaving Maryland for states with lower taxes and fewer regulations. Between 2000-2010, 1.4 million Marylanders moved to other states and took $5.5 billion in taxable income with them.
This matters because:
- Less business means less job opportunity.
- Fewer prosperous taxpayers mean a greater tax burden for those left behind to pay for public essentials, like schools and roads.
- Fewer jobs mean diminished quality of life for individuals and for the health of Maryland communities.
I believe in the value of work. A job promotes purpose and self-worth. It contributes a sense of meaning to our lives, that we have significance and value, not just for ourselves but also for those around us. Nothing is more fulfilling than satisfaction of earned success.
Having a job allows us to take control of our lives. When we succeed we can feel the personal benefits of being generous, of giving to others, as we decide. Jobs help build community and helps individuals flourish.
Building communities who value people who work is important to me. We should elevate the role of those who create value in our society – parents, teachers, laborers, caregivers, medical personnel, watermen, police and firemen and military, as well as entrepreneurs and innovators, artists and scientists.
As Governor, I will make opportunity a reality in Maryland. I will:
- Promote jobs in construction and industry through private-public investment that Maryland desperately needs.
- Create the necessary economic and regulatory climate for companies to grow, but without hurting the state's natural resources.
- Fix a broken system that is blocking access to opportunities with over-regulation and excessive taxes. Review all unnecessary taxes and regulations and eliminate the Rain Tax.
- Reverse the trend of businesses leaving Maryland and make the state more attractive to job creators and investors, and stop the erosion of our revenue base.
- Build the economy to create jobs for the people of Maryland who are struggling to put food on the table, pay their bills and put gas in their car.
- Help you to keep more of your money.
This is the New Way Forward!